Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rex

"A mother, her autistic child, and the music that transformed their lives."

Karla's Review: Rex is the intriguing story of a very unique young man. He was born with a cyst on his brain that required almost immediate surgery. When he was just a few months old the doctors discovered that he was blind. And that was just one of his many disabilities. This story, written by his mother, Cathleen Lewis, tells of her determination to help Rex reach his full potential.

Rex was delayed in almost every area of development: walking, talking, even eating. The most fascinating part of his story was the discovery that he is actually a musical genius. His many disabilities (the blindness, the autism, the sensory issues) all fade into the background when he sits down to a piano keyboard. The term for this is "savant" which indicates someone with developmental disabilities who is particularly gifted in one area.

I enjoyed reading about Rex's successes and triumphs against all odds, but what struck me the most was his mother's fierce determination. It has been my experience that no "expert" knows an individual child better than his or her own mother. I also appreciated hearing about Cathleen's spiritual journey and growth which came about as a direct result of dealing with Rex's disabilities.

You can view a video of Rex playing the piano and Cathleen talking about the book at Amazon.

1 comment:

pse said...

I'll have to take time to come back to this and check it out. I'm very interested.