Today's Question: We all come to faith in Jesus at different times in our lives and we all come to Christian fiction at different times, too! What's the first book in the Christian fiction genre you can remember reading? What was your impression of it? Did it make you want to read more or less?
I grew up in a pastor's home so naturally I grew up reading Christian fiction. I can't say for sure what the first Christian fiction book I read was but I do remember a couple of children's chapter books that were favorites when I was a kid in the 1970s. One was The Wagon and the Star (a pioneer story) and another was Trena and the Border Guard (a story about Christians behind the Iron Curtain). I was also a big fan of the Danny Orlis series and other books by Bernard Palmer, also the Sugar Creek Gang. That was when I was in elementary school. As a young teen in the 1980s I enjoyed books by Francena Arnold, Christmas Carol Kauffman, Sallie Lee Bell, Grace Livingston Hill, and Janette Oke. Anybody else remember those authors?
I am grateful that Christian fiction has taken off within the last few years and is now up to mainstream standards, because I long ago out-grew the sappy moralizing books of my youth!
Stop over at My Friend Amy's blog to see how others answered this question. And if you didn't post it on your blog, please tell me in the comments what book you remember. I'd love to know!
5 comments:
I envy all of you who grew up reading it. But then again, I probably would have gotten tired of the lack of variety, too. (but the things I did read were not spiritually enhancing either) I'm glad it's come a long way since then!
I've read Grace Livingston Hill and Janette Oke, but can't claim to have read the rest! I'll have to look a few up - I recognize a few of the names. Thanks for sharing!
:) Wendi
read Not Regina by Christmas Carol Kauffman and learnt alot about the times from it. It was a great book.
I read a few Grace Livingston Hill but after reading heartsong presents and a few others I found hers very similar in style and couldn't get into them. but Love Janette Oke.
We had series we would get at sunday school for prizes and we would share with the others in the class.
Grace Livingston Hill, and honestly it was enough to turn me off Christian fixtion for a LONG LONG time. My return came with some books from Frank Peretti, Angela Hunt and Francine Rivers. Now it's about ALL I read. :)
Not sure of those authors, though I have heard of Janette Oke. I've heard she is a great writer; I'll have to read some of her books sometime.
Hope you'll drop on by my blog if you haven't already.
Shelley
http://inkscrawls.blogspot.com
Post a Comment