Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday Christian Fiction Carnival

This week's questions:
Whether or not you celebrate Halloween, there's something about the shorter days and chilly air that makes one want to curl up with a scary book. The horror market for Christian fiction is growing in creativity and testing all sorts of boundaries. The suspense market is also very rich with many talented authors. So my question(s) for you is...what's the best Christian fiction horror or suspense novel that you've read? What book would you recommend to someone who wanted to try out these genres? What's a book in these genres you want to read but haven't yet?
My answers:
  • The best Christian fiction horror or suspense novel I've read would probably be Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness. I also liked Piercing the Darkness, The Oath, The Visitation, and Monster by Frank Peretti. (I did not like House at all. It was too over-the-top for me.)
  • I would recommend any of these.
  • The Hunted by Mike Dellosso is on my to-be-read list. There may be other books on my TBR shelf that fall in that category as well.
Visit My Friend Amy for a list of other participants in the Saturday Christian Fiction Carnival.

8 comments:

Wyn said...

I am discovering such a bounty of interesting recommendations. Thanks

Wyn
http://wynsbooks.blogspot.com

Sunny said...

I haven't read Frank Peretti yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wendi said...

I haven't read Frank Peretti yet either, but he comes highly recommended by some family members and friends!!

:) Wendi

Here's my post: http://wendisbookcorner.blogspot.com/2008/10/saturday-christian-fiction-carnival_24.html

Nise' said...

Loved the Peretti books. I have not read House.

M. C. Pearson said...

I'm doing this wrong, I think. I've tried posting a comment and it keeps erasing it on me. I do not like those verification things!

Okay, I'll try one more time.

I love Peretti. I wrote a neat thing about him paving the way in speculative fiction, but I don't want to retype it again. ;-O

nitewrit said...

Karla,

I remember well when I read "This Present Darkness". It was so nice to read a novel by a Christian, with Christian themes and message, without it being forced and simplistic. I read several more of his novels, but have fallen behind. Of the books you mentioned, I haven't read "Monster" and the one you didn't like as well.

It was also great to find Peretti's book sitting on the main fiction shelves at the book store, instead of tucked somewhere in the back in the "religious" section.

Larry

Kim said...

Mike Delloso's book was AWESOME! He also has a terrific blog - Wide Eyed Fiction. His second novel will release early next year.

Kim

PS You have a beautiful site!

Anonymous said...

Most of my recommendations always mention most of Peretti's books, This Present Darkness and Oath are my favorite. It's sad you didn't like the House, both by Peretti and Ted Dekker.:( I'm looking forward of reading this book before the showing date of it in theaters. Delloso's books haven't caught my eyes yet, and my TBR list is soooo long!

Alright, alright, seems that Delloso's are interesting too, added it in my list.