Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kindred Spirits Reading Group

I have recently joined the Kindred Spirits Reading Group. For the month of May we have the choice of reading Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell or The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy. I was not familiar with Elizabeth Gaskell's work, so I decided to start with Wives and Daughters. I haven't read The Scarlet Pimpernel, either, but I have seen the movie.

One thing that is so handy about vintage literature like this is that much of it is available in audiobook format for free, since it's in the public domain! I downloaded Wives and Daughters from Librivox to listen to as I exercise, or clean, or work on other projects.

I have also listened to a lot of Jane Austen, Gene Stratton Porter, and L.M. Montgomery's books from Librivox. It is all volunteer readers and sometimes you'll get different readers from one chapter to the next, but most of them are very good! I highly recommend it!

No comments: