Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kindred Spirits books for June

I am really enjoying participating in the Kindred Spirits reading group. We have a choice of two books each month, and for the month of May I choose Wives & Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'm not actually reading it. Instead, I downloaded the audio book from Librivox.org and loaded the files on my MP3 player. I've been listening as I clean house or exercise. Now here the month is nearly over and I'm only about half finished! I think that's a good indication that I didn't exercise enough this month! It's a good book, though, so I want to finish it. I am debating about getting the physical book at the library so I can read it faster... but I've about decided not to. I have plenty of other books on my TBR stack, but I can only get "vintage" (i.e. public domain) titles through Librivox.

The choices for June are Little Dorrit or A Girl of the Limberlost. I watched the recent mini-series of Little Dorrit, and I've read A Girl of the Limberlost several times, so I can probably discuss either one of those without reading them this month. Although, I would like to see how the Little Dorrit book compares to the movie! I did go ahead and download that audio book to listen to next, but I may not get to it in June.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Have you seen Wives and Daughters? I absolutely love that movie! :-) I have the book but haven't read it all the way through yet.

I loved the Little Dorrit miniseries, too, and found the book at a library sale after (actually old volumes, part 1 and part 2) I watched it. I was thrilled! I'm looking forward to reading it. :-)

Listening to them on audio is a great idea!