Thursday, December 11, 2008

NKJV Chronological Study Bible

Karla's Review: I am so impressed with the NKJV Chronological Study Bible. To start with, it is just beautiful. The pages are full-color with a lovely papyrus-like look, although printed on the thin paper typical of Bibles. And then, it is my personal favorite translation, the New King James.

The chronological arrangement of the scripture makes it read like a history book, and that aspect is further enhanced with lots of detailed notes on historical information (based on archaeology and other texts) that tie in with the time period. Many passages in the Bible don’t say specifically when they took place, so the scholars who put this edition together explain in the notes throughout why they chose to place in a particular historical context, and what other options might be. Knowing the context and details about the culture helps with understanding the meaning of some of the more obscure passages of scripture.

The text is divided into 9 Epochs (or time periods): Before the Patriarchs, The Patriarchs, The Rise of a Unified People, From Tribes to a Nation, The Fall of Two Nations, Exile and Return, Between the Testaments, The Coming of the Messiah, and The Church Age. The appendices include an index of topics, a glossary, a concordance, and an index of scripture passages.

I am very excited to have this Bible on my shelf, and I know I’ll enjoy reading and referring to it over and over. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

RAnn said...

Looks interesting. Enter me in the contest please ruthjoec at aol dot com