Max, a Scottish terrier, takes his usual morning trot down to the loch where he hears a mysterious Voice humming in the reeds saying, "Come to Me . . . follow the fire cloud."
He embarks on an unknown journey from Scotland, meeting other animals along the way including Liz, a brilliant, black cat from France. Max and Liz become the brave leaders for their group, and eventually, for the entire ark. The mysterious journey, filled with danger, humor, trials, and triumphs, leads them across Europe to the Middle East. The moment of arrival for these animals is spectacular as the ark is miraculously transformed into the animals' natural habitats.
After the journey to the ark, the voyage in the ark begins. Liz finds ways to keep the animals occupied, including daily exercise led by the flamingos and talent night where the animals entertain each other with their natural abilities. BUT a sinister plot develops.
Someone is out to kill Noah and his family. Liz follows clues that lead her to discover a stowaway who has deceived them all. Max and Liz foil the plot, but at a high price. The end climaxes with unexpected twists and turns, taking the reader from despair to hope.
Available in bookstores or online at www.maxandliz.com (signed by the author), and www.amazon.com.
Karla's Review: This is a great book! I started reading it and immediately fell in love with the characters. After reading the first few chapters I realized there were wonderful spiritual truths woven into the story, and I knew I had to share it with my animal-loving daughter. So I started it over as a read-aloud with her. She is enjoying it as much as I am! Each chapter leaves her begging for more. She enjoys the gentle humor and adventure, and I appreciate the practical life lessons that are an integral part of the story -- trusting "the Maker", following where He leads, the value of friendship, the wisdom of elders... We look forward to reading the sequels!
Edited to add: This book was written for the 9-to-12 age group, though it's pretty thick... so it might intimidate more reluctant readers. My daughter is 13, and is delayed in reading, so I am reading it to her. Obviously, it is perfect for her interest level!
1 comment:
Karla, what age group? Would this be appropriate for an eleven year old? (she's reading at about a 5th grade level)
thanks!
Post a Comment