Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Believer

Years ago, when I was a teen, I saw a documentary about the Shakers. I was interested to learn about their colony, their high-quality of craftsmanship for furniture and baskets, and about their plain-style of singing and worship dances. But the thing that intrigued me most was their celibacy. No marriage? No children? I just didn't get it. (I still don't.)

The Believer by Ann H. Gabhart is a fascinating glimpse into a Shaker colony in the early 1800s. While the plot is somewhat predictable, the research was well done so I enjoyed the story as I learned more about the Shakers and their beliefs.

In addition to what I remember from the documentary, I learned that they thought they could "shake" their temptations off, and "labor a dance" in repentance or worship. Every minute of the day was strictly regimented. Conversation was only allowed at specific times. And they prayed to "Mother Ann" (the founder of the Shaker movement) as well as God.

I love to learn about different cultures, places, and lifestyles when I read fiction... and this book definitely fit the bill.

No comments: