Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Cherry Ames series (vintage)

I recently picked up an old Cherry Ames book at a thrift store or a library sale or somewhere. My sisters and I read all the Cherry Ames books growing up. I just loved them! Cherry made nursing seem so glamourous! I was convinced I wanted to be a nurse till the summer after high school when I worked as a nurse's aide in a nursing home for 3 months. I figured out *real* quick that I was *not* cut out for nursing. However, both of my sisters did go on to become nurses, so I guess dear little Cherry did have an influence on one of us anyway!

I'm re-reading Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse just to see what the story is like from an adult point-of-view... and oh, my, just too good to be true! Exciting, glamourous, adventurous! But, hey, they wouldn't have a story if they weren't, would they?

Don't you know Cherry? Here's a website all about her, if you'd like to get acquainted!

Watch for more books from my childhood... I have always been an avid reader!

1 comment:

Carole said...

I love your post on Cherry Ames, Karla! I also loved these books and wanted to be a nurse - but it was 10th-grade chemistry that did me in. It would be fun to read some of these now like you did. Thanks for the idea.

I also liked the Sue Barton books.